from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

some degree of understanding

The distance covered on the treadmill is the combined result of time and speed. This was a bit of information grasped in 5th grade physics class, but it was nevertheless a thrill to behold its effect in action after three decades. If I increased the speed, the mile just accrued much faster. If I increased the incline as well, then the consumption of calories increased correspondingly. I remember one day during that first week when I was after calories. We had just enjoyed our first grilling of the season. I had a Southwestern style burger (cilantro and salsa mixed in it), on a tortilla with melted cheese and refried beans, with sides of guacamole and sour cream. You get an idea of how I meant to lose weight. Perhaps, I thought, I should cut the intake down before the next ‘miling’ session. Robert called it 'miling,' since it was not running yet, but to call it walking didn't honor its purpose.

After the first four or five days (read miles) I was fortunately past waking up in the morning stiff as a board and dizzy with exhaustion. But I was still in the stage when after a quarter mile I had had enough, after a half a mile I was dying, and after three quarters I could breathlessly decide to hold on just a little while longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home