from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

the race ahead

Once I signed up for the semi-marathon on September 3rd – five days from now, when I write this – my focus shifted automatically to the length of a semi-marathon, 13.1 miles, instead of its double. I did the given 5K each morning, with one day off a week, a day reserved for cross-training, and a Saturday or Sunday for the “big run” of ten miles or more.

The day off posed no complications, he, he. Cross-training meant swimming or running in the pool of the apartment complex, but given the rainiest summer New Mexico has experienced in years it usually ended up being another day off. Cool enough, since all the books say that runners of my age should not over-train. A questionable relief…

The “big run” each week-end became the stronghold of my training, and inevitably it was aiming at a semi-marathon. Eleven miles, after the ten I had barely mastered, eleven miles again, twelve miles scheduled for the near future, eleven miles again, twelve miles next week, maybe, and so on…

I started worrying about this. I used to think in terms of 26 miles. Now I was geared for 13. This focus had the cold edge of a limitation in vision. It reeked of an upcoming plateau. My initial brazen projection of 26 miles in 26 weeks (the end of September) looked suddenly ludicrous.

No use in blaming myself. I did what I could do. I have come so far injury-free, without help from anybody. I try to remind myself of that. I have built a base. I will run a half marathon in five days from now. It’s good.

4 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... all one can say is, Run Lia, Run! good luck.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Cris said...

Well, if you've been running four or five days a week and have gotten the long runs in, you'll be fine Sep 3rd. What was your longest run, the ten miler? Plenty long enough.

Your goal time of 2:30 is definitely doable. You're not injured and have been training well. I expect you'll have a pretty good time out there. Good luck!

 
At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Lia! I'm a former sprinter that was forced to run distances. I always found self motivation difficult. I either had a coach pushing me constantly or I needed team mates to compete with. I have the highest respect for people who can train hard on their own. Run Lia Run?

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck!! If somebody can do it, that's you, Lia. I'll be waiting at the finish line to celebrate with you this very important achievement. To all of us, your friends, the people who love you, you are already a winner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home