from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Sunday, October 31, 2010

the ultra-runner

They say that once you run a marathon, even if it is your last, you are a marathon runner. Always will be.

Somehow this does not seem to apply to ultras. Ultra-runners are hardcore. They run ten miles in the morning that way I brush my teeth. Their weekly mileage is that of a different species. They have run at the very least a 50-miler or two, and they plan for the next half a dozen or so.

I do not feel that simply putting 50 km behind me one sunny day in Utah qualifies. I am not an ultra-runner. I am a marathon runner who has run an ultra.

1 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Steve said...

You ran a 50k? That's awesome!

Anything over 42km is an ultra, so you are definitely an ulthathoner.

I remember when you first started running and never thought you'd be able to do a marathon. Now look at you. Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home