from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Saturday, August 29, 2009

what i did this summer

17 miles last Sunday, 13 tomorrow, and then comes the race.

I started running again at the end of May, with 0.7 cumbersome miles. Now it's the end of August and in a week I will run a marathon. I do not know where the summer went, but it was marked by this steady expansion of mileage and willpower.

At the beginning I still had moments when I wondered who this girl was, moving ahead, pounding the ground, running. Now I do not ask anymore. Somehow during this time I made running my own. It's not that I really enjoy it - it's still best when it's over. It's not that I ever come close to looking forward to it, except for that occasional small shift in perception just before taking off that signals I am ready. But running has become part of who I am, something that defines me.

And probably always will, no matter what I do after this race. In the meantime, I am running this marathon for my new love. Not sure what this means aside from the fact that, running or crawling, broken or whole, dead or alive, I will finish it.

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Darrell said...

My hope is that you will finish running, whole and alive...and happy and satisfied.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

And...you are off! Glad you are back at it, in any way you choose.

As for those dreadlocks. Kind of musty-smelling, matted hair, on a young man with beautiful, wavy, red, red hair. I loved his hair long and flowing, sort of liked the dreads, but found them too much for me. As for the voice - maybe a bit homesick, singing some songs for his Mom. I miss him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home