from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

but whyyy?

This race has somehow demotivated me. I run at an improved pace now, because the race has taught me I can. But it's harder than ever to keep on running. First week I took it easy - ran less often, less far, not so fast. Now it's the second week, and I wake up with ennui: oh, running again. I step out to run, and it feels incongruous, as if I had better things to do. And then I run, and can't wait for it to be over. Wonder why this is.

It doesn't help, of curse, that since the race a dull pain dwells where my left leg joins the pelvis, not deep enough to be a hip injury, not close enough to the surface to be accessible to touch. Dwelling there, like a temptation to limp.

It doesn't help that my hard drive died two days ago, and the backup proved to be useless. I lived in dread and self-blame until the files could be restored. I am the luckiest girl in the world. But I am still a bit shaken - how fragile everything is, and how important it is to value something in order to preserve it.

2 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Lia,

Thanks for stopping by. You provide some interesting reading material here. I am assuming by the title of your blog that you are planning on a marathon in the future. I look forward to reading how it all works out. Nice job on the half-marathon.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger Lora said...

Lia,
You live in my most favorite state. I've visited Taos a number of times and even considered moving there!

If you do finally get to do your towns marathon, I would be glued to my computer reading your report and drooling.

I'm looking forward to watching you progress with your running. Fabulous time for your first 1/2 marathon! Congrats!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home