from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, October 22, 2012

the rio grande half

Two weeks after San Francisco I was cruising around on my bicycle when I came upon a closed road and found out they were having a half-marathon next day. I had known about the race, and had also forgotten about it, not interested.

That day I bought new running shoes. At the store I impulsively
signed up for the half, since it just so happened that I could. Next morning I showed up at the start line in the brand-new shoes, a no-no by all standards of running.

What worried me more was that I had run next to nothing since the marathon, at most four miles in two weeks combined.

The shoes worked out fine. Not training didn't hurt either, probably because it had helped me recover. I did the half in about 2h 15 min. I wanted to be faster, I wanted to reproduce that awesome sprint to the finish from San Francisco. Probably a foolish idea, serendipity doesn't visit twice in a row. But I was still happy to have run a little half at the spur of the moment.

I am not sure what this says about my love-hate relationship with running.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home