from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

logistics

The April race took place in Amish country and was an afterthought. That is, I didn't intend to fly across the continent to run a marathon. It just worked out that way.

First and foremost, there was a place in Rhode Island where I wanted to go for a long time, but I didn't plan for it because it would take lots of time and money to get there. I also wanted to see Leonard Cohen in concert. I noticed on his tour schedule that he had two April concerts in New York, and thought that Rhode Island is just a few hours drive up the coast. Then I figured out there was a shooting match in Bedford, MA, in the same time frame. For good measure, I looked around a bit more and found the Amish marathon within driving distance.

So here was the plan: we would fly into Philadelphia; I would run a marathon next day, we would be at the Leonard Cohen concert the evening after that, spend a few days in Manhattan, drive up to Rhode Island, make our way to Massachusetts in time for the shooting match, and finally fly out of Boston on Monday, April 15.

I didn't realize until weeks later that was the day of the Boston marathon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home