from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

disabled

The other day I had to take a pile of magazines out of my car. These things can get heavy, and the combined effort of holding the stack and walking upright pulled so hard at my groin that I had to stop and carry the weight in installments.

It brought tears of frustration in my eyes. I have an invalid.

Throughout my life I have been, if not outright self-destructive, at least a bit reckless with my body. Most of the times it was nothing major: jumping from bridges into the river below, skiing at night on unlit slopes, going out with wet hair in winter, drinking too much, smoking too much, eating too much. The usual indiscretions. My body bore the impositions with integrity. It stayed graceful. It remained unrattled.

Then I started to run. Here I am, doing something that is supposedly good for the body: dynamic motion, cardiovascular exercise, regular digression from inertia. And what happens next? I find myself disabled.

I was so proud, just a few days before the race, about getting to 13 miles on my own, and getting there injury-free.

So much for the healthy lifestyle...

2 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Lora said...

The amazing thing about running is that you have to respect it...respect the distance or it humbles you. The changes it forces one to make are changes that will be your gift forever. Listen to its message--you won't regret it.

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate to the injury thing. I was building up for a half marathon when it sidelined me. But that only means we have to get creative about how to recover and get back to doing what we love.

Thanks for the rhyme about the toad. That was great. I'm filing it away with the story. Thanks for reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home