from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Thursday, September 14, 2006

the runner and me

People I know ask me about the half-marathon, even the ones who think I am crazy to attempt to run mile after mile. Hearing about my avid output at the race, one of them said that I am more of a runner than I know.

What he meant is that I am competitive. This doesn't come as a total surprise. I am vain and like to be admired. A little bit more than the average person, I mean. Well, okay, considerably more than the average person. To be honest, I am outright needy. It's all about vain little me. Competitive or not, I still did not expect that I would challenge myself so intensely on that race track.

But being a runner... I don't know. I do not see myself as a runner, I am just running. Even now, when I don't find it enjoyable. Bored with it or not, in pain or not, I cannot give up now. I have to run a marathon first.

It started me thinking though.. this business about being a runner. What is a runner? And what is the difference between a runner and me?

2 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger Lora said...

I think we all define "runner" differently. For me, it's someone that feels something is missing in life when I don't run for a couple of days! An addiction ya think???

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I am not sure whether running is an addiction for me, or a part of my life that helps keep me sane. Running is embedded in my life so that it seems to be a part of me.

As for what a runner is, I tend to agree with Lora that we all define "runner" in our own way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home