from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, September 29, 2006

waiting it out


Last week-end we went to Alamogordo. I swam in the hotel pool twice, and even ran in the water a bit, hoping this would remind my limbs that I used to run once. I traipsed around for hours in the White Sands National Park, barefoot in the sand, up and down the slopes. It hurt a lot, but I was too exhilarated by the landscape to pay attention.

I cleaned my bicycle, which has lingered untouched almost since I bought my first car two years ago. I cannot run yet, but I have to do something, afraid that all the work of the last half a year, from mile zero to 13, is going to be squandered otherwise.

They say the body heals. Mine takes its own sweet time.

4 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Thanks for stopping by my post and encouraging me! It is my first marathon - I've done three half's (halves?) and run everything from 5k to 15k's, and lots of relays. I've been wanting to run a marathon for a long time, but some medical stuff got in the way. So here I am...

I went back and read a few of your posts - I love the way you write! It's almost poetic. Sorry to read about your injury, hope it heals soon. I hope you get back to it soon.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wish it was warm enough around here to still enjoy the pool, but Autumn is here and I enjoy that as well.

I hope you do not have to wait too long to get back to running. Have a great weekend.

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Lora said...

Here's hoping your injury heals real fast! They say the pool running is a great way to keep up with your running when you're hurt. Beats me.....never tried it. But "they" know!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Lora said...

Did you just add this pic? My God...it looks like artwork!!

A pacer is one that holds the pace at a race. Some of the bigger cities have been adding them for a few years now. Helps the runners keep the pace without thinking or constantly looking at their watches. I was the pacer for people that wanted to finish the Chicago 1/2 marathon in 2:30.

Great idea to bike!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home