from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

next

With all my conflicted feelings about running, one thing has been clear and remained unchanged for almost a year now: that I will run The New Mexico Marathon Plus in September.

The one I thought would be my first when I aimed for autumn, before spring urgency took over and I found Shiprock. The one I could not yet do last year, so I signed up for the half only. The one that follows the foothills of the mountains, touches upon the Sandia reservation, and turns south through the valley of the Rio Grande, outlining the city in the thin desert air.

That one is going to be my next.

Even my boyfriend has known this all along. Since I called him from work one afternoon in June, last year, and asked if he will be at the finish line for the half. The full one would be coming one day, he was sure. This spring, while I was still training for Shiprock, already thinking ahead to September, he reminded me that I will need to do some incline work, since the course along the foothills is uphill.

This is strange, I know, coming from someone who would just as well see me quit all this running and go back to who I was before. Not exactly lazy, but more carefree. Not at leisure, but less exhausted.

He knows me. He is complicated too.

18 Comments:

At 8:26 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

He sees something in you that needs this push, that little flame that is burning brightly in your mind, he sees something is changed and even neccesary. For those of us who do it, it feeds a hunger that we sometimes don't even know we have. As conflicted as you are, you must have both the flame and the hunger, otherwise, why would you continue?

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Deene said...

this could be a fun and challenging course. it appears to be definitely a better one that the duke city marathon course.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

Goals are what keep us focused. You have chosen a great one and with that will follow the love / hate relationship we sometimes have with running.

More love than hate is always good. Now comes the training :).

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

Less exhausted - that'll never happen.

:)

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Hold on to that one. He's a keeper.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I guess that means no chips and salsa with me. :p

Looks like a good challenge.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Bre said...

A new adventure! Good for you!

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

Congrats on committing to the next one. I'm counting on you to review all the New Mexico marathons before I make my decision. ;-)

My wife finally realized about a year ago, that I wasn't going to be giving up this running thing anytime soon. I think she really enjoys looking for me at races. It sounds like your guy knew or admitted before you that there would be a full and then another someday.

Train well.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger R2B said...

Congratulations on setting the new goal Lia!

Keep on moving one foot in front of the other!

R2B

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful that your boyfriend has become such a source of encouragement.

My husband is a non-runner, and while he was pretty uninterested in my running at first, he is starting to come around about it and show some enthusiasm for me. (I have a feeling it has something to do with what running has been doing for my physique...)

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Lora said...

Oh you are just going to love calling yourself a Marathoner!! The best part is that most people will think you're crazy!!

hmmm....wonder how long it will be before the Ultra bug bites you?? ;)

 
At 5:37 AM, Blogger Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Sounds like you have a keeper, even if he can be complicated....hang on to him. My wife enjoys my commitment and it seems it has even caught on with her, as she has now finished two 5k's and is asking me when our next one will be. Instead of verbally saying that she won't ever do a Half, she just shakes her head, but smiles...I told her that by the end of the year I predict that she will have committed to running a Half, somewhere and that I will be there to run with her, what a great opportunity.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Way to Go on ur next Marathon, it will give you a GOOD Focus through the summer !!

Congrats!!

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It looks like a nice marathon and no surprise that there was another on your mind.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

Excellent! A new goal and a summer filled with training runs! Woo Hoo!

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Looks like a good race. two marathons in a year. We might have to get you into the "marathon manics" club pretty soon..

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

Sometimes I wish I had someone around to give me that push I needed. It is good to feel that need but also have outside motivation, I think. It's a good balance.

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home