from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, May 04, 2007

I will run a marathon

Technically that is not correct. Inevitably I will walk part of the course.

The way I envisioned my first marathon (a lifetime ago), I would put in several 20-plus-milers before the race, so my body would be inured to the effort and I would conceive of the marathon as I approach now 10 or 13 miles – doable on any given day. The way I envisioned it, I would run my first marathon with sprezzatura

That was before the setbacks of the last months, minor as they were. I have not done a big run without walking breaks since the half-marathon race in January, Arizona.

That was before I moved the date of the marathon from “sometime in fall, whenever I am ready” to “before summer.”

What matters is to finish, I know. One day perhaps I will run a marathon for real – run it, run it through, without breaks. Maybe in autumn. Maybe at sea level.

But before then, inappropriate as the term may be, I will run a marathon any way I can. For as long as it takes. At 5,000 feet altitude. I will run through the desert. Tomorrow.

13 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Take your time and don't drink too much (or too little) water.

Soak up the experience.

Good luck!

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Bre said...

You can do it, Lia!

I am so excited to hear how it went!!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Deene said...

don't forget to have fun while you are at it, because you can't have a first marathon do-over.
we'll be waiting for your race report.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger traveler022 said...

You will do great Lia! Enjoy every step of your first marathon! Every few minutes or miles, tell yourself, you are running your first marathon and bask in that thought! We are proud of you "from mile to marathon"! You're doing it!

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

You will be fine. Yes, you will be exhausted and achey and ready to be done with it, but...when you cross the finish line it won't matter a bit. You'll have done it - you'll be a marathoner - even if you walked some of it. (And of course, I have to disagree with you - even if parts are walked, you've still run a marathon. I refuse to believe that my marathons don't count because I took walk breaks!)

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Good luck. Who cares if you walk part of the way? You'll still be accomplishing something that 99.9999999% of the population could never accomplish.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger JustRun said...

Oh yeah you will!

I'll be thinking of you!

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! You are a running stud! :) There's the Portland (OR)marathon in the fall - it's pretty close to sea level. :)

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have fun! We'll be waiting to read all about it!!

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can't wait to read the full report. I'll be thinking about you.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Good luck! All you’re training, planning, and dreaming will carry you to the finish line!

Happy Marathon

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

You will do it.

Have fun and enjoy the ride..

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Taunya said...

It's smart to walk part of your first marathon. It's the best way to enjoy it. Can't wait to read your report.

Best to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home