from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Saturday, June 16, 2007

back to sanity

This did not qualify as work, but it did not feel like a vacation either. It was an exploration.

We had dinner with friends.


We played with their kids.


We drove everywhere.


New Jersey lived up to its name of Garden State. Between one six-lane highway and the next we found a stripe of green.


New York was cool, crowded, vibrant, frenetic, glamorous, and overrated.

I photographed the Puerto Rican Day Parade,


the rain in Bryant Park,


the building where I used to work,

,
and Manhattan hanging on to its cell phone.








The best part about New York is the food.













In spite or because of exuberant dinners and such luscious desserts as banana fried cheese cake with caramel sauce, I dragged myself twice to the pool, a brief and steamy affair that can hardly qualify as cross-training. But I put in a 16-miler before we left, and now that we are back to normalcy it's time for running again.

16 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

those food pics at the end made me drool.

sounds like an interesting get-away.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the photographic tour. I wish I could have joined you.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger JustRun said...

Love it! Especially the cell phone series!
Welcome back! I'm sure running has eagerly awaited your return. :)

 
At 5:02 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Looks like you had a good time exploring. That dessert looked yummy..

NIce run too..

ps. Hey, if you have a bike to ride, A Triathlon could not be far behind. Since you know how to swim already..

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the photos do NY a nice justice.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

So true about the cell phones, everywhere really. I remember everyone in NYC having iPod earbuds on when I was there. Nobody interacts with anybody, everyone is in their own little world.

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Cool trip report, enjoyed the photos...sounds like you managed to get it all in! Have a good run!

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

"Manhattan hanging on to its cell phone" - that's great!

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger peter said...

Who are those people talking to 24/7? The inane conversations I have to listen to as I try to read on public transportation drive me crazy. I have figured out that the definition of "like," which is always every third or fourth word, is "similar to but not quite the same as"--and when I hear it I always mrnally insert that phrase and it always works.

You left your running gear at home? Central Park is great for running.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

I hate when you go away for several days only to come back and not feel like it was a true vacation.

Way to get your 16 miler in before leaving. Now get back to it missy!!!

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Randy - Maniac #788 said...

I agree, looks like you had an enjoyable time exploring. The food lookds great too. OMG...now back to the grind...running...come on we haven't forgotten how to do it...I've got to get back on again too..

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Taunya said...

Nice pics--I especially like the food pics (because I especially like food!).

 
At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh the food! :) I've never been there, but it did make me hungry! Welcome back! Enjoy your runs! :)

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing with the food makes me think of my soon to come All inclusive Turkish deserts :)).
Whatever you write about is interesting and juicy. Thanks.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Bre said...

Those pictures almost make me enjoy NYC... but then I remember how fabulous Philadelphia is and I'm cured :-p

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger paris parfait said...

Thanks for the reminders of New York! The photos are great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home