from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, February 15, 2008

who moved my treadmill?

To make things worse, the first morning I went to the exercise room after considering El Paso after all, I found the door locked and a sign announcing the place was being remodeled during "the next couple of months."

I always did the weekday runs during the winter on the treadmill, boring perhaps, but expedient, safe, and free. That morning I turned around, and went home to sulk. No way I would run after work. No way I would invest time and money for gym before work. I would run, but not if it interfered with the rest of my life. Running outside in the dark was too scary.

I seemed the decision was made for me. I had the perfect excuse to skip El Paso. But it is one thing to let go on your own, and another to have some remodeling thwart your plans.

In the end I opted for running outside. The apartment complex is large enough for a one mile perimeter. Darkness and all, a 5K was still double by running around three times within the fence. The only unsolved problem was the duel between the freezing temperatures and my persistent cold. My first 5K this novel way was on crunching ice, but most mornings were easier.

It must not have been obvious to the early risers who saw me during those pre-dawn hours traipsing in the darkness, swaddled in layers like a mummy, but I was running toward to El Paso.

7 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

That's the stuff! Don't let someone else make that decision for you, be stubborn and make your own decision. Sounds like you came up with a viable solution.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

Just like a woman to be able to go in four different directions and end up in the right place!

Too bad you couldn't have convinced the management to store the treadmill in your appartment while the renovation was being done.

Churn and burn marathon lady!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

There you go! Persistance will pay off. :)

 
At 6:24 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Wow, running again in the cold weather.. Great job.

I do hate with gyms and euipment become "closed".. soo annoying..

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Darrell said...

Your resolve and ingenuity makes you...well you know...a marathon runner.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's determination! I am impressed and amazed. You're not going to let a little roadblock stop you. On to El Paso! :)

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Jason The Running Man said...

Great job getting out and getting it done, I needed to hear that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home