from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

this week was easy

I did 12 miles on Saturday, a last sweet trail run on Sunday, a couple of short jogs, and a leisurely bike ride. I plan for a last swim tomorrow, and then there is only the race. This week is... easy.

Training was really difficult only twice. The week after the Portland marathon, when I went back to work, volunteered at the balloon fiesta, and trained as usual, was kind of gruesome. On Saturday of that week I had planned for 15 miles but dropped to 12 when I started to feel uncoordinated, as if the limbs where not joined in the right places. The moment I actually gave in was when I remembered that at the fiesta I had already put in six hours of "time on my feet" for that day, from 4:30 to 10:30 AM, and I was probably doing more damage than good by keeping on running.

The other hard instance was the biggest run I put in before Portland, 21 miles that took me almost five hours, as long as the marathon race. That was the day after the car accident, and I had a headache and was a bit woozy. In hindsight I must have had some whiplash effect, but I didn't realize that at the time, since I was... well, woozy.

Otherwise, training for this 50-miler was pretty cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home