from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, October 02, 2006

curious

It's been two weeks since I ran last, and it will be at most another ten days or so until I can start running again. By now I am not so eager anymore. Oh, we humans are twisted beings. Or at least I am.

With the injury, I have felt for days imbalanced, dislocated, misaligned, not only in body, but also in spirit somehow, as if the pain in my hip was a sign of disharmony with the wider world. Grounded, I have felt guilty and diminished, dismayed to find myself vulnerable and mortal like everybody esle.

(I know, I know, I tend to exaggerate...)

But in the meantime I got used to leisure. I enjoy my little vacation. No getting up unbearably early, no sweat, no smell, no soreness, no endless placing of foot ahead of foot... No overwhelming rigor, no exhausting discipline. Just me, free to losen up, at ease to go with the flow of the day, justified in repose.

I am not exactly looking forward to losing this.

But then, maybe, I am. It's going to be different somehow, I sense that. Running again is going to feel different than before. How, I do not know. But I am curious.

3 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Blogger Lora said...

Good things must be on their way...keep us posted on the journey!

Ain't life grand??!!

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to read quickly what happend to you lately!!!! My conclusion: You have to go to see a doctor. I have my own injury (the complete tear of the ACL ligament)..... I tell you it is not a laughing matter. Sometimes, by moving, you can make things worse!! maybe you have to do some physiotherapy.... hmmm?? you have to take care of yourself.
PS: the picture is so COOOL!

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Oooh. Sorry to read about your injury. I've had the groin pull (if that's what yours is). You must rest it. Running on it just makes it worse. Especially hills. And when you do start running again -- no hills for awhile. Also, take it real easy on the stretching.

Injuries happen to just about every runner. It's part of the process. It will heal. You will be stronger (and smarter). Just don't try to push it.

[And thanks for stopping by.]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home