from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Thursday, April 05, 2007

senseless numbers

When, over a year ago, almost overnight, for reasons I could not fathom, I started to obsess about running a marathon, I looked for significance in the number 26. I know it's silly and backward. But I thought that if could find something, a myth I could relate to, a link to something meaningful, then I'd be more comfortable with the idea, I could appropriate the notion, I could make the marathon mine.

I found out that the distance between Marathon and Athens, run by that faceless warrior of two milleniums ago, was actually close to 25 miles, and the extra length came about in the context of a race ending precisely in front of the seats of the British royal family. Oh well.

Since I grew up in Europe, for most of my life I thought about marathons, if I thought at all, in terms of 42 kilometers. Needless to say, I did not fare better with 42 than with 26.

A few weeks ago - I had already discovered Shiprock - I realized that if I run my first marathon before summer I will run it while I am still 42.

I know it's silly. But it made me feel good.


Okay, last chance between now and Saturday to sign up for the drawing - see the entry titled "Aveda foot relief."

8 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

There is no connection for me in the numbers...just a long, long way to go. I really, really don't want to run my age.

 
At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your number "obsession" doesn't turn into a Jim Carey movie. ;) Actually, stuff like that is kinda cool, if you ask me. (Your number connection, not the movie!)

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger JustRun said...

How cool! I do that stuff sometimes, too. I was born on the 23rd, so there ya go.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Deene said...

made me think of that jim carey movie too.

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Taunya said...

It's really an exciting time for you. There's only one first time--you got to drink it in and it looks like you're doing just that.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

28 days to go ... You will do great, Keep up the trainings and Visualize the finish line:-)

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Chad said...

Good luck with the race - 42 for age and distance seems good to me.

Today in Phoenix there is a race for Pat Tillman - the pro football player that joined the army and died in Afghanistan. His number was 42, so the race is 4.2 miles long and it finishes on the 42 yard line of the college stadium where he played.

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The number is a sign. It is meant to be for you to run a marathon right now at this time in your life. Tis your destiny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home