from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, March 16, 2007

my first marathon - considerations

I don't want a huge, crowded race with thousands of people. That makes for an exuberant atmosphere, but somehow the running diminishes in importance. We end up stumbling over each other.

I don't want sea level. This will ensure a lovely running experience, but I will never be able to improve on it.

I doesn't have to be Albuquerque, although one day I plan to run a marathon here - uphill next to the ridge of the mountains, across the southern edge of the Sandia reservation, along the valley of the Rio Grande, outlining the city in the thin desert air.

It can't be too far, since my boyfriend only flies when it's a matter of life and death. We have to be able to drive there. I ran this last year alone, but when I run my first marathon I need someone at the finish line, and they can't be grouchy.

It doesn't need to be fast. I will probably walk stretches of it. My back still feels funny sometimes, but I am working on core strength. I will be ready.

10 Comments:

At 8:42 AM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Looking for suggestions? Depends on the time frame. I've been looking into late Fall marathons in the Southwest myself. My current plan is to do Tucson (Dec 2nd). My backup race is Dallas White Rock (Dec 9th).

Tucson is small, cool and dry, and a fast downhill race (though the downhill will do a number on your quads). Dallas is a bit larger race but mostly flat (though there is a hill around mile 20 or so).

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Joe said...

I'm with your boyfriend on the not flying thing if you have to fly across timezones. I get terrible jet lag.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Deene said...

i guess that all depends on when. Shiprock marathon (only a 4 hr drive from Albq) is coming up real soon. There should be some nice runs in Durango CO area as well.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I dont have any suggestions (I'm not too familiar with marathon schedules) but I look forward to following along as you find your target race, train for it, and complete it!!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It seems as if there are so many marathons these days you should have a range of choices. Choose wisely. The first one is always the most magical.

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Lora said...

I say go to the nearest running store and question the owner. You're sure to get lots of advice.

Welcome to the marathon group! But a warning: You'll never be the same!! ;)

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Taunya said...

You're smart to choose carefully, there never be another "first time". I wish I knew a particular race to advise you on. Come to think of it, I remember reading an article about the Durango marathon--hilly, but low key and very scenic.

Can't wait to hear what you decide on.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Chad said...

Lot's of good choices - of course you will need to determine when you want to run it. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I agree with you on the small races, there more fun.

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

I can't wait to hear which one you decide on! I hear Austin Texas has a good Marathon too! It's probably bigger than you want.

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck finding your perfect marathon. Hope your back keeps improving! Happy training! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home