from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, March 19, 2007

my first marathon

I signed up. I will run on May 5th.

Run, walk, whatever it takes.

The course starts near the border with Arizona, stretches east along the wind-swept plateau of northern New Mexico, declines from roughly 6,000 to 4,800 feet, and ends in Shiprock - a town so tiny we stay overnight in Farmington, another 30 miles to the east. The Shiprock Marathon.

It is a small race, without fuss and fanfare. It takes place entirely within the bounds of the Navajo Indian reservation.

It is in the middle of nowhere, it is at the heart of the desert, it is the center of the world.

12 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

I know you wrote "heart" of the desert, but my mind read "heat" of the desert. I have enjoyed the tiny marathons every bit as much as the big ones. Have fun!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Deene said...

Congrats on signing up. I'll look forward to your race report when you finish. I was looking forward to this marathon as well to be my second but with my knee issues I'll have to pass until next time.

 
At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will make it, we are sure! :-) Iza & Miha

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent! Marathon chosen and it sounds like a good one!!

You asked where I cycle - it depends on how long i'm out. Anything 2.0 hrs or more and I head to the Bosque trail and ride the bike path there. Less than 1.5 hrs and I stay close to home and ride on Loma Larga. (looping as needed). Wanna join me sometime?? :)

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Good for you. That sounds like an interesting place to run. Definitely not your run-of-the-mill marathon I would bet.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger JustRun said...

Yeeehaw!

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Bre said...

Wow that sounds like an amazing (and really hot) place for a run!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

That's great! Looks like a fun place to run a marathon,
Good luck and happy marathon training

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Tall Girl Running said...

Congratulations! My first marathon was a life-changing event. I can't wait for you to experience the same thing.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger seagull junker said...

yea! first marathon! have a blast and enjoy it.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

You did it!!!!!!

Just remember "You can do it!"

Those tears as you cross the finish line will not be from pain but from the joy of your accomplishment!

Great course, wonderful profile, perfect first marathon!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger R2B said...

Thats sensational Lia!
You have made up your mind and nothing will stop you now!

Near the end i imagine you will just run through to hugely satisfying finish!

R2B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home