from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, March 09, 2007

reflection

A couple of weeks after the Arizona half-marathon, I got an email from Action Sports International, the official photographers of the event. They offered pictures from the finish line, using the bib number for identification, and of course they charged a small fortune. With shipping and such, one set of two 4x6 prints cost almost $25.

Outrageous, of course. I decided, vanity and all, that I did not need to stare at myself at this price. But I found myself opening the email more than once, always checking the same image.

It was a close-up, with my face in clear focus, and I found it unconceivable that I looked so together, so collected, so composed. I must have strained, after the last of those 13 miles, but my features bore no trace of effort or exertion. My face had a dreamy, reflective quality, as if absorbed inward, as if this encounter between myself and the finish line was more an imaginary attainment than an actual event.

I ended up buying that set anyhow. I wanted to remember that I could look like this, I wanted to believe that this was me, this dreamer carried forward by sheer inner thrust.

9 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Aw, come on, post us a link to the picture.

Every time I read your blog you capture me with at least one sentence - this time there were two:

"My face had a dreamy, reflective quality, as if absorbed inward, as if this encounter between myself and the finish line was more an imagined attainment than an actual event."

"I wanted to remember that I could look like this, I wanted to believe that this was me, this dreamer carried forward by sheer inner thrust."


You have such a beautiful way with words. I made Eric come read one of your comments to me (on the Orcas post) because it was so beautiful. If you ever write a book you have to let me know! I'll be your biggest fan!

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Lia,
Just saw your comment - that is so exciting! I'm serious - let me know when it's out so I can read it!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Joe said...

> My face had a dreamy, reflective
> quality, as if absorbed inward,
> as if this encounter between
> myself and the finish line
> was more an imagined
> attainment than an actual event.

Ah, yes, the miracle of endorphins!

Good call on buying the pics.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

pictures like that are priceless. Hope you post them!!

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Taunya said...

You do have to post that pic. And I agree with Michelle--you have a way with words. I can tell that it's effortless. You have a gift!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

Wow, I don't know if I've ever heard a race photo described like that! Fantastic!

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Wow - those pictures of me usually come out looking bad - for some reason they are often also blurry - no cheap shots please ;-) I've never even been tempted to buy one. Congratulations on getting such a great picture I'm with Michelle and others - let us see it!

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Bre said...

That's a picture that's well worth the expense!

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post it. I've seen you bored half to death (I may have been partially responsible), so let me see dreamy.

Keith

 

Post a Comment

<< Home