from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Sunday, June 24, 2007

dreaming

The other night I dreamt I was doing a biathlon (it was called “doathlon” in dream lingo). For the interval of a blink I thought that if I take my bike out as well, I could make it a tri. But then it occurred to me the second event in my doathlon wasn’t swimming, but shooting. Pistol target shooting, the sport I practiced years ago. It is almost two decades now since I lay my hand on a pistol.

In the dream, it wasn’t that far behind. It was shooting, my passion and redemption for so many years. Now I could combine it with running.

The dream never reached the actual competition. For all its duration and action, as vague as it was, I was concerned with one single consideration: how would I steady myself after the hype of running to reach in a minimal amount of time the composure required for shooting – that calm, still focus of utmost concentration that suspends breathing, thought, and any kind of interference, while I pull the trigger.

I am totally out of it after a running race. I breath like a locomotive, I am restless, my mind is blank. If I wait until I am self-possessed again, my transition time in the doathlon throws me out of the competitive range. If I start shooting too soon, the shots will not go off smoothly.

I fought with this conundrum for the duration of half a night, envisioning a tremendous effort of collecting myself in seconds after the run – no panting, no pacing, no relief, just the unmoving gun as an extension of my arm and intent. That’s where the dream ended.

There is actually a biathlon event, a combination of cross-country skiing and shooting, although it’s rifle shooting, prone position, offering more stability that pistol.

I wonder why I dreamt this.

10 Comments:

At 5:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

interesting dream.

doesn't sound like a multi-sport event that I'd like. At least you weren't shooting the other athletes in your dream...

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Deene said...

what a cool dream! way back i used enjoy target practice. maybe subconsiously you are read for a dualathon. it's time to take the bike for a tune-up. a few years a go i went to watch a unique tri that included running, cayaking and horseback riding - very exciting.

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess this is the answer (a possible solution) to your question about how you'd like to end the race, about feeling unwell in the end of the race...
It means if you take concentration learned in shooting and apply to running, you may end the race calmly, composed, in breath.
Yes, why not?!

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

Ha! Wow. So interesting. I'm with you on the part where you couldn't shoot well after running. After a race, I can barely drink water without spilling down the front of me, God knows I don't need a gun in my hand at that point.

 
At 7:58 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Running and shooting? Bond, Lia Bond.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

That is the question... why would you dream of this event? Did you read or see something on TV?? Very interesting.

Update and tell me that you have stopped smoking. I know you can do it!!!!!

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dreams are so odd sometimes...

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

It is actually an winter olympic sport. I like watching it when they cover it during that time..

If you ever dream about swimming, biking , and then running for long distances, let me know..I think a triathlon will be in your future.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting combo. I am not much of a shooter. As I was growing up my mother never allowed me to have guns of any kind. Not even toy guns. The most dangerous gun I have ever used is a bb gun and I didn't dare tell my mother.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! Maybe it's your destiny to start a new event! (Although, it might be a bit dangerous since the athletes may be a bit unsteady. . . as you mentioned.) :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home