from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

focus, focus, focus

It says something about how much I am on automatic pilot that, more than a month after my first symptom in my right knee, it occurred to me I need to do something about it. Here I am, marching into my marathon with an injury.

I started with extensive research on the web. If it's ITB syndrom, then it's mild and atypical. I cannot decide what it is, and the other possibilities are not a better prospect.

First things first, I better avoid running hills until the marathon. For weekday runs I can go back to the threadmill. For my planned 20-mile run this last week-end I was at a loss. The only flat course I know is the Bosque along the Rio Grande where a woman was assualted and shot last week in broad daylight. Since I planned to start at 5:30 am, the Bosque seemed a contraindication of sorts. I chose the track of La Cueva high-school - it would take me 80 loops, OMG, but it would be safe. I still asked my boyfriend to come with me and stand guard until dawn.

It was, exactly as the last really big run before my first marathon, a brutal experience. THE HEAT! The temperature was in the mid-80's before sunrise. I did not care to find out what it was when I finished roughly four hours later, but I did not need numerical indicators to know I was wiped out.

This is the desert. Let's pray for clouds.

My mind is plotted across various exercises and strategies that are going to enhance the overall strenght of my legs, neutralize whatever issue dwells in my right knee, and do away with the injury by sheer effort of will.

It's imperative. Marathons are looming.

8 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, Blogger Chad said...

WOW - what a plan.

and 80 laps on a track - I'm amazed, I can't stand running on a track. I'm being a big wimp this spring and dong short runs until it cools off. More power to you!!!

 
At 5:21 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

80 laps on a track is amazing. I can barely stand an hour on the track, much less four.

For the knee...how old are your shoes? Just a thought.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

Wow, 80 laps? You have more mental strength in one run that I think I've had in every run I've ever done.

As for the knee, are you doing any strength training? After running a marathon with an injury last December, it has taken me all year (and probably more) to recover and strength training has been a huge part of that.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Deene said...

how did you keep from losing count of laps?
take care of the knee first - see a phsyical therapist to diagnose the real problem. maybe you have muscles that need to be unknotted. or it could be your shoes as backofpack says.

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

Lia,

You have perseverance! Michelle and I were talking last night and she mentioned your 80 lap endevor. NICE!

I found going to a Physical Therapist for ultrasound treatments the best and quickest way to get rid of ITB problems. I think they used a topical cortisone cream when they did the ultrasounds. Don't know if this is and option for you but perhaps it will help.

Cheers!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Be careful with the knee, my therapyst suggested a cure to prevent worst injuries: essaven gel to smear with a cube of ice before and after the training. I am sure you can find a similar ointment in the USA. It worked for me.
You will get crazy running 80 laps on a track: good luck!

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

80 laps around a track, thats determination, great job. That would totally drive me nuts..

Better to be safe..

ICE the knee and train on soft surfaces to heel. Walk on a teadmill with a high incline if it hurts to much to run,,

You are ready, you will do fine. Rest up and take care of that injury..

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

80 laps on a track? i would be bored out of my mind!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home