from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I can do it

The 20K, with its first half at a steady incline, was a good training run. I signed up for the New Mexico Marathon Plus on September 2nd, and the first eight miles are more or less uphill, almost one third of the marathon. When I do big runs on the Academy track every Sunday, a third of it is uphill too, but in loops, so every third mile is uphill, it's not a relentless ascent.

We drove along the course this last Saturday, and I do not know how I will handle it. Sure, there are a couple of dips. Sure, one way or another I can do those first eight miles. But then I have to do another 18.

Ironically, they call this a downhill marathon since the elevation at the start is higher than at finish.

I ran 19 miles this week-end, the last part in overwhelming heat. Between now and September let's have some cooling down, let's have some clouds, let's have some reprieve from the brutal sun.

And the knee is bothering me too. But I can do it. I can do it, I think.

11 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

You can do it. I don't get your Academy track. Is it a typical school type track? If so, how does it have a hill. For that matter, what is the Academy anyway? Regardless, I think you can do this. If you have to you can walk a bit, or drop your pace. Just keep moving forward.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Bre said...

You CAN do it!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

You can do it. Just take care, like you always do, and you can do it.

 
At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes you can do it!

Wow, you have got some hills to conquer, too. Good luck!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

Bob in Flordia has the trick to the knee fix. I have his link on my blog page.

We are all wishing the heat away!!! You will be more than fine. You are a RUNNER :)

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Deene said...

if you think you can, you can!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Exciting news! You can do it, indeed.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Exciting news! You can do it, indeed.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hear what you're saying about a some cooler weather, but I'm not seeing it in the forcast - at least not in the forseeable future. DRAT!!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Yeah this weather everywhere is terrible for racing/training these days..

I know you can do it, one in the bank and another one coming up, Now I know deep inside you know you got it..

One step and a time I always say..

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

After that 20K you've got the strength to endure and the resolve to finish anything you set your mind too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home