from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Sunday, July 22, 2007

challenges

Twice during weekday runs, once this week, once the week before, I ended up with a funny feeling in my right knee, not pain, just a weird sensation as if a muscle or a tendon were twisted or dislocated. Each time it was gone next day. Each time it set in, as far as I could figure out, after the downhill mile on pavement. A mild descent, like the one during big runs on week-ends, so I inferred it was the pavement.

I changed my route slightly to an alternative on a dirt road, and the weird sensation stayed away. That is until yesterday afternoon, when it made its appearance while I was walking around in Barnes & Noble. Perfectly flat.

Kind of worrisome.

This morning I got up at 4 am, but could not move fast enough for an early start. It was 5:40 when I was ready for take-off on the Academy track, my knee wrapped tightly in a mental vise. I did not know what I would do if it started acting up again. The smart thing might have been quitting, and part of me was ready to frolic at the prospect. The other part panicked.

I ran about 11-12 miles with ease, and struggled for another four or five under the gaining sun. Heat just shuts my system down. I must have walked more than half of the last two miles, to reach a cumbersome 19. The knee held.

10 Comments:

At 5:57 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

I am so amazed at how you keep going. Even with walking, you just persevere. I am going to think about this on my next run.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Bre said...

My goodness! Your determination is outstanding!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

How is your stretching routine? How much time are you giving to this part of your training? I have had mysterious pains in different parts of my legs that just come and go. Normally with some dedicated stretching and even icing it will take care of pain and worries that can crush your motivation and spirit. You may even want to invest in some deep tissue massage therapy. Your body will thank you!!!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have been fortunate with how well my body has held up. There have been many instances when I believe the pain that I felt was more of a mental pain that I created rather than an actual onset of injury. The body is an amazing device and with belief and proper training we can push it a long way. You continue to push through. I admire that.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

Lia,

gotta run has it right with stretching and icing the area of concern. With the down hill pain mentioned I wonder if you are having some lower ITB issues. Is the pain on the lateral(outside)side of your knee? If so try this:

Lay on your back with both legs straight out on the floor. Bend your right leg and put your foot at your left knee. Pull the right knee that's sticking up over your left leg with your left hand and push it gently toward the floor. Keep your shoulders flat on the floor. This will really stretch out your ITB. Repeat same for left leg. I hold the stretch for 30 seconds. If you experience any sharp pain or popping sounds stop. Hope your knee continues to feel good. I've gone through some similar issues that made me worry but in time they healed up and went away.

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... I'm feeling a little nervous about your knee... hope it stays put. I didn't listen to my shins when they hurt and I ended up in two casts for stress fractures... which ended my ballet career. Take good care of that body! :)

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm. Wonder what is up with the knee...

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

Great run! No pain no gain and you made some nice gain this weekend..Hope that knee doesn't give you any more trouble!

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad the knee held up! Way to go on that LONG run! My knee pain tends to pop up when my hip flexor gets tight. Make sure you're stretching those babies! :) Take care!

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Good luck with the knee. Please listen to it if it's saying "I'm sore". Don't be like me and ignore it until it gets to the point where you have to take several weeks off. Just my two cents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home