from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, August 27, 2007

tapering

Tapers might be good for the legs but they mess with my mind. I am happy of course that I am supposed to run not more, but less. But it puts limits on my imagination.

Yesterday I started my 13-miler at 5:30, the same time as the race, my knee didn't bother me that much, the air was a few degrees cooler than last week, I ran steadily, even if not fast, and I finished in good shape, tired but not exhausted, pleased even if not exhilarated.

The thing is I could not even conceive of doubling the output. It's a thing of the mind, of course - 13 miles is what I had programmed myself for, so 13 miles is what I delivered. Presumably next Sunday, my mind set on 26 miles, I will deliver 26 miles. But this tapering business, right now, prevents me from envisioning a full marathon.

I shared this with my boyfriend over breakfast, and he looked at me for a while, as is his way. Then he said: "You better start envisioning it."

Right.

10 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Just think of it as two 13 milers. Easy-squeezy!

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tapering always messes with me, too. But you have twice the mileage in you, ready to go.

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no logic during the taper. We survive on uncertainty, extra calories, skepticism, and hope.

Here's hoping your full race distance has all the rewards of your taper...

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Bump in the Night said...

See it, be it, run it? Nah, you'll just do it. You'll carry our best wishes with you, hopefully a welcome load.

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Tapering starts along with the mental games that comes along with it.

Mental imagery works well, study the course, believe in your training, you will do fine..No doubts, okay..

 
At 6:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dream it, then do it!!

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your boyfriend's comment. :) Yes, tapering does kind of freak the mind out, but the body needs it. It will thank you by doing well on that marathon. :) Good luck!

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I like about reading your blog is how much I can identify with your passion for running from my years as a professional ballet dancer.

As you said, so much making it to the end comes from the mind.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger zanne said...

i hate the taper too. messes with my mojo - makes me wiggy. but its' a good thing in the end - cause you'll be rarin' to go come race day. love the boyfriends' comment. succint. to the point.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Your boyfriend said some wise words. Embrace the taper.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home