from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

not different than before

This reversal of mood - I am running again, I will run El Paso, how cool - held on until I did the 16-miler.

I had forgotten about chafing and Glide. I had forgotten how much an ice bath can hurt. I had forgotten how a big run, even one not so big, can knock me out for the rest of the day. Here I was, a helpless puppet, and I had no one but myself to thank. All this, so next time I could run even further and be even more miserable.

All this, so I could run El Paso, while I did not even know I could indeed. The absurdity of what I was doing struck me again. Putting in two big runs did not mean I would finish El Paso. It just enabled me to get to the start line.

But then, it's always like that. Once at the start line, you are certain you will start. Afterward anything can happen. The same as in the other races.

Oh, well, I was going to be there. That is if I could put in a 20-miler next.

4 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is quite absurd in some sense to put ones self through so much pain and agony, but there seems to be a satisfaction in the pain that is worth the effort. It sounds like you have found that satisfaction even if it is not continuous.

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When is El Paso?

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is interesting reading about your journey to yet another start line.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chafing - ouch!

I do have to laugh about being miserable so that you could run a little farther and feel even worse. Sometimes it does feel like that. What we do to ourselves. . . :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home