from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, August 17, 2009

the perfect run

I ran another little 5K race on a Sunday, interrupting the string of long runs. A week later I decided on 16 miles, thinking it was necessary to do more than a half marathon but wiser not to attempt too much after the gap.

It turned out to be the perfect run, or at least as close to that as I ever get. Smooth, steady and fast, it took a half hour less than my average time on that distance. I ended up doing 16.5, out of sheer momentum. I "fueled" and did not get sick from it, as it usually happens. It got hot, but the heat didn't affect me. Much more important, I ran in the present, never ahead of myself, never wanting it to be over. I stayed with it, step by step, each and every moment.

It was over in no time.

3 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go you! :) Nice work on the 16.5!

 
At 4:52 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Love those perfect runs! How nice that it all came together on a long one.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

Well done. Those runs are special for sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home