from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, May 30, 2008

i still run

I knew it right after Shiprock. I knew it before I even approached the finish line. Marathons were not enough anymore. Insane or not, I was thinking about 50 miles.

Instead I decided to give up marathon running. I would run, but not marathons. At least not for a while. At least not for the foreseeable future.

It takes more time and energy than I can invest without putting the rest of my life on hold. I cannot go back to who I was before. I am a marathon runner. But I have to become who I am meant to be. For me running is an adventure, not a destiny.

I still run.

But my magical marathon year is over.

10 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Ah, just running for the sake of running...that's a dream too, just of a different kind. Keep posting though, okay?

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All my running running friends are coming out of the woodwork..must be marathon season..Yup.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I had a feeling...

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Ultra's is a differnet kind of running.. Still alot of time involved, but different then marathons..

Look forward to read of what you plan to do.. But whatever it is, have fun doing it.. Most important thing of all.

 
At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your year of marathoning. Can't wait to hear about your next adventures.

Enjoy what you do!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Darrell said...

Thanks for sharing your year of marathons with us.

Enjoy the future!

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes what we do becomes such a part of who we are (ballet was like that for me). I think it's awesome you are finding a balance and saying no when you need to.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

You are very wise but the marathon is a contagious diseas, we will never recover.

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Runtime said...

Well it certainly was an amazing run even if you never take another step. The itch is tough to shake though... but the time is tough to find.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Although I'm only a half-marathoner, I can still relate. Since my last half-marathon a year ago, I've been pretty much a non-runner, focusing mostly on my swimming and spending some extra time with my family. It was a nice ride while it lasted.

I still go on the occasional run, just for the sake of running, but I leave the Garmin (and all expectations) at home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home