from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, February 12, 2007

pushing again

I woke up yesterday to the prattle of rain on the flat roof. First I was about to ask why it had to rain precisely when I planned a long run outside, but by the time I was outside I did not mind anymore. I ran through the light and intermittent drizzle, wishing it were denser – it was cool but not cold, the clouds were luminous, and it seemed exciting to run with the rain.

The Sunday prior, when I barely finished two loops around Academy, I told myself that next time I would do three, even with the backache, no matter how often I would have to walk, no matter how long it would take. And so I did. I never once interfered with my body when it decided to walk.

I always feel it would be best if the running were over, preferably now, so I do not know if yesterday’s walking breaks were due to subsequent indulgence, or oxygen deprivation, or pain. The pain has shrunk in strength and scope but lingers – a dull sheath packed around my sacrum, like an alternate center of gravity. It’s been three weeks now, and I do not even remember anymore how it is, to run without pain.

But I went three times around Academy, just shy of ten miles, in a bit over two hours, and my mileage is again greater than the week before, when it was greater then the week prior, and so on. I am not only hanging on, I am advancing again.

9 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

I don't know how you can be so poetic about pain, but you are. Your writing just flows and is beautiful.

It's great to hear your miles are advancing - way to go!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger JustRun said...

I think I feel a little twinge in my back every time I read about yours- you really do write about it in a powerful way. I hope you're taking care of yourself -I do know those miles are important but be careful (do as I say, not as I do). :)

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well, Michelle beat me to the comment about using your words so perfectly. I hope you return to a pain free running life soon.

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a wonderful run in the rain last year. It took me back to the days when my brothers and I used to play bare chested and footed in the rain when we were kids. It was exillerating. The worst part about running in the rain is the transition time between being dry and being wet. Once you are soaked it no longer matters that it's raining.

Anyone who can use the word "prattle" in such an eloquent fashion is my kind of writer. Hope the back pain diminishes soon.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

When it rains here, I tend to shy away from running. But I had an incredibly fun run in the rain while I was in Oregon las fall, so my opinion of light rainfall has changed.

Best wishes on speedy recovery from back pain!

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Bre said...

I'll see your rain and raise you the 12 inches of snow we're supposed to get...trade?

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Lia,

Great job on increasing the distance and the time.

Also, thanks for your birthday wishes.

Stay tuned...

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Black Knight said...

Good wishes for a pain free running very soon. The increase of mileage is a good presage.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Taunya said...

I LOVE to run in the rain. There's something very cleansing about the whole experience.

I hope you enjoy some pain-free running soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home