from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

planning, perhaps

I never ran with a specific race in mind. I never followed a training schedule. I just went out there and ran, with one thing on my mind: to run, to run farther, to ran faster.

I said I would run my marathon when I am ready. And since it was clear I would not be ready this spring, I thought I would run it in fall, perhaps the New Mexico Marathon Plus in September. Last year I did the half.

Lately through... I am getting impatient. I don't want to wait anymore. If I push hard I might be ready in May or June. I believe New Mexico is too hot to run a marathon in early summer, but I have learned something else in the meantime - one can travel to another place, run a race elsewhere, there are plenty of races to choose from. It took me some time to make this mental jump. Okay, so I am slow.

So now... my mind is roaming... could I push, how would I plan, where should I go? It's not that I want to travel to another city. It's not that I want to run my first marathon at a lower altitude, I'd rather do it here, in the desert I know. It's the restlessness in me, the need for space conquered, the hunger for miles.

12 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger paris parfait said...

Obviously you have to decide what works best for you. But if you can run in the high altitude of New Mexico, you can probably run anywhere! I think it's fantastic that you have so many possibilities! I'll be cheering you on from afar, wherever you run.

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the big plus for me, getting to go away somewhere to run a marathon ... then I forget about the 26.2 miles and pretend it's a holiday.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Running will take you to places you would never see otherwise - even if you visited a city or town, the marathon will take you through all the nooks and crannies. Go for it!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Definitely go for it.

Go someplace cooler that time of year - somewhere in the Northwest or San Diego perhaps.

 
At 7:01 AM, Blogger David Edward said...

wow, I like the last sentence; " the need for space conquered, the hunger for miles". That is a winner, and so are you

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger seagull junker said...

There are plenty of great races and great places to run out there. Find one that you will enjoy and have fun!
tom riley

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

Well, since you asked...

http://www.ftcollinsmarathon.com/
Beautiful and super fast course. Think about it.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Taunya said...

Yeah. Go somewhere nice and cool!

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Some times you just have to lay it all out there and go for it.

 
At 2:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear which marathon you choose. Sometimes it's nice to get away for a run. Different scenery is always a plus!

Happy training!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Bre said...

You probably could push if you really felt like you needed too... just don't get hurt!

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I believe you can do it! If there's nothing holding you back push for that race in May/June! Keep on keeping on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home