from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, February 19, 2007

temporary insanity

Only three weeks ago I was contemplating a soon-to-be half-marathon at sea level, and now I want a full marathon, before summer, at whatever altitude.

I must be out of my mind. I never ran more than 14 miles. I cannot do a "big run" anymore without 1000 walking breaks. I have no idea how to get to mile 26.

My boyfriend refuses to look at maps and make plans before, he says, "you are well again." He is right. My back is still tense, which is worrisome. At best I have - literally - outrun the pain.

The miles I ran in the whole last month could be squeezed into one week, but I am still proud of my output, running on the delicate line between worsening the pain and increasing weekly mileage:
8 (post AZ race)
10 (very bad backache)
12 (bad backache)
17 (moderate pain)
22 (slight pain).

So. I will run, according to my own devices, with a marathon in mind. For early summer. In a month I can re-assess where I stand and how I feel. And, hopefully, where I will race.

10 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, we runners do have bouts of insanity. I don't know if it's temporary or not. :) Anyway, it helps to have a goal in mind. If you have to adjust it, big deal. You will run that marathon eventually!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i think waiting a month so see how you feel and THEN picking a race is a good idea.

after that, you'll have a goal to work on.

Have fun!!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Waiting a month to see is a good idea. Hopefull, the downward trend of pain will continue, and it'll all be gone!

I understand your urge to get to it soon - those long drawn-out training plans are hard to stick to.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Taunya said...

I like your plan. You've got to listen to your body first, now matter how hard your mind is pushing you.

Good luck!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Full Metal Lunchbox said...

You are at the correct skill and experience level, and you have the discipline.

Yes, it's time for you to run a marathon.

Good luck!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

It's strange what keeps us doing it anyway, isn't it?
Take care of yourself.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good idea to heal up and then think about plans. And I completely understand the insanity part.

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

Made a comment on last post and realized the page wasn't updated.

Great attitude...you'll be ready for that marathon for sure!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Ted said...

Hi, for someone who's not run a marathon, you have pretty good 5k and 1/2 marathon times.

One thing I would be careful about is the "pain" you describe. Sounds like you might be increasing the mileage to fast.

I used to train all willy-nilly. And I always felt tired, and sore. I thought that meant I was improving. Boy was I wrong. This year I'm doing more "base training" and being somewhat organized about it. My mileage is up, my heart rate is down, and I'm more rested and relaxed and without any soreness from before. I've got some great training "links" on my blog you can check out. They all deal with these issues. You can have you marathon (the cake) and eat it also (not being sore an broken down as a result of the distance).

Peace
Ted
http://triforhope.blogspot.com/

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

I think the temporary insanity lasts until about mile 20 of a marathon. Then for some inexplicable reason it returns after mile 26.

That said, you don't want to start your marathon training with any sort of significant injury. Take care of it first, then plan your destination marathon. If early summer works out, there are some good ones. You would probably have more choices in the Fall, though.

Either way, find the training plan you want to use, and when you're ready to start training, count forward the number of weeks in the plan. If it lands in August -- you may want to wait another month or so...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home