from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, August 31, 2007

it's almost marathon day

I bought new shoes (Brooks) two weeks ago, when I decided to do everything possible to take care of the knee, and I discovered in the meantime I do not like them that much. I have to wait until after this race to pick up another pair of Asics.

I am surprised again how unprepared I am, I do not mean the running itself, just associated details - the knee, what exactly to wear, how to fuel. I still don't like anything I've tried, and my last 20-miler was essentially on empty.

I can think of a dozen things I should thave tested or focused on or done differently.

It's too late now for looking back. Marathon day is two days from now. I played it out in my mind. The incline of the first eight miles, then the descent - all the elevation loss of the race is condensed in the next five miles. I'm going to have to take it very easy here, since my knee doen't like it downhill. My strategy, if I have any, is to arrive fresh at the half-way point. My marathon starts at mile 13.

I spite of this course layout, I don't believe a negative split is likely. Neither is a personal record - that comes the next time around.

9 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Gotta Run..... said...

If your shoe store is good then they will allow you to exchange your shoes even after two weeks of using them. Might be worth trying.

As for the other last minute details.. you have just enough time to settle on the important stuff. I ma a last minute planner so I am sure you will be fine.

You are more than ready!!

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

So exciting! On to marathon #2. I'm looking forward to the report and hopefully, some pictures too. Good luck!

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

Good luck!

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have fun, Lia!

and...I hope to see you the following Sunday at Chips-n-Salsa!!

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Darrell said...

Feeling unprepared is pretty normal, I think. Enjoy the experience. Remember I'm counting on you to help choose my NM marathon.

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

You'll do great, have fun and smile and you won't think about anything else that hurts while you are out there.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger zanne said...

i agree w/ robin ... you should be able to return your shoes. I once returned shoes that i had run in for two weeks ... they even had mud on them - they took them right back, realizing that they had fit me incorrectly & sold me the wrong pair.

as i write this - you are likely running your marathon! -pretending of course that there is no time difference, because for all i know you are rolling out of bed - who knows. but, here's to hoping you are just about to mile 13.1, feeling fresh & ready for the real work to begin! hope it ends the way you want ... happy!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Chad said...

Good luck on your marathon - hope I'm not too late!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was hoping I could sneak a peek at the results, but they're not posted yet. I hope all went well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home