from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, September 28, 2007

living with injury

My weekly mileage is indeed pathetic, as the race director of my last marathon implied - in the low twenties on the average, all the big runs notwithstanding. I put in a 19-miler last Sunday. For the first time in months, I did not worry about the heat. The blanket of clouds mitigated the sun, and a breeze kept the coolness alive. I went at it steady and stubborn, and finished in just under 4 hours.

I figured out there is not much wrong with my knee, not the knee itself. Instead it's my whole right side, from a patch of pain somewhere under the ribcage, in the back, through the buttock, to the knee, down to the ankle. A cord of tightness, not always coalescing into pain, but always there. Sometimes I can run a 5K without paying attention to it, but I cannot forget it during big runs.

Nine days to go until the next marathon, and I still do not know what this is and how to ban it from my body. I learned to live with it as if it's part of me.

Sometimes I think running would be so worryfree without it.

9 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Lia,
Consider a massage to help ease the tightness. If not a massage, then one of the infamous white foam rollers. Just google foam roller. If you get one, lay on it where it hurts and roll your body along it. It really helped me when my IT was tight.

Of course, that only treats the symptom. I have no idea what is causing the injury - maybe your form, or your shoes...

Good luck!

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have a good time with the marathon out east. :)

Don't know what to tell you about the pain...

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with BackofPack - go for the massage (from head to toe!) Do you think it's your sciatic?

Regarding your comment on my blog about wishing you could enjoy your runs. . . there are plenty of days where I'm just wanting to get it over with, too. My boot camp has really loosened up my hips and I think that is a huge part of my runs feeling good. Are you hips tight? That could be part of your issue, too.

Good luck on your next marathon! Take some rest if you need to.

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

If the massage does not work try drinking heavily. On second thought I hope the massage or white roller works out for you. Sounds like Marathon has gotten under your skin! It's infectious!

Have a great run! Can't wait to read all about it! As for the Norse Peak run I've heard it's beautiful.

Eric

Eric

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Those nagging injuries are hard to get rid of.. You'll forget about it while doing the maraton, but afterward, then it really sucks..

I say ICE everything, I think a shot of tequilla also helps.. It helps me :)

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Darrell said...

I too have "learned to live" with similar pains. Being diligent about stretching seems to be helpful. Good luck with the marathon.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger JustRun said...

Oh I wholly second the foam roller for the pain-in-the-rear (and side).

Enjoy the run and when it's all said and done, maybe get checked out? The first thing my PT said to me when I started after a year with pain is "never wait this long again." I always remember that when things start nagging.

Can't wait to hear about it! :)

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Too bad your next marathon was not in Portland instead. I hope the injury goes away ASAP.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger zanne said...

9 days to go until next marathon? didn't you just run one? omg girl. you need a massage. i ditto what everyone here has already said. massage, ice, i also loved the tequila suggestion. have you tried tennis ball massage? you lie on the ball - put it under the spot that hurts (its good for backs) - and roll around on it - the pain will start to melt away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home