from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Saturday, October 20, 2007

in the meantime

I ran New Mexico Marathon Plus in September, and The Royal Victoria Marathon two weeks ago. With San Antonio Marathon in November and Holualoa Tucson Marathon on December 2nd I can become a gold level Marathon Maniac - four marathons in four months in four different states or Canadian provinces.

I owe it to Michelle, of course, that I even thought of such a thing.

Someone asked me once what "do you get" if you become a Marathon Maniac, sort of: what's in it for you? I said "not only are you crazy, you are certified." That should count for something, he, he.

In the meantime, I signed up for the Duke City Marathon tomorrow, since it's right here in my backyard. Starts and ends at the Civic Plaza downtown.

Someone commented: "I thought you did not enjoy running."

Well, I don't. I calculated that by the time I recovered from Victoria I'd had to start tapering for Duke City, so I didn't have to run that much in between. It's just the way my mind works.

I am a bit scared though. I mean, they seem to get more and more difficult. I thought it would be the other way round. And I leafed through a copy of the Runners magazine I got unasked in the mail, and all stories go with horrendously high weekly mileages, where mine are so negligable I am embarrassed to state the number.

But I have my outfit ready - its' going to be cold and cloudy and windy, no New Mexico sun for us, and I plan to wear the awesome technical shirt that came with the goodie bag in Victoria. And I plan to run, for what else is there to do in a race?

6 Comments:

At 10:23 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I like how your mind works, Lia! Certifiable for sure :)Good luck with the marathon.

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Looking forward to your race report!!

I hope you had a good experience.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Good luck at the race, you MANIAC!!!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Way to go Lia...MANIAC!!!!

I'm trying as well, but a lower level than you...I'm shootig for 3 marathons in 90 days...Route 66 on November 18, Honolulu on December 9, and Houston on January 13. I think that gives me a few days to spare...and like you I figure I will taper between the second and third as I'm pretty well ready for the Route 66 now. I"m excited...

Way to go..

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

still waiting for the race report. I saw your results posted so I know you finished... ;)

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Awesome! Can't wait to see how you look in yellow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home