from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

countdown to victoria

I love week-ends with small big runs – I ran a half last Sunday, and had enough of me left to do another 1000 things during the day. I did not start packing for British Columbia yet, but I hardly can think of anything else. I am excited about everything - the ride on the ferry, the hotel room with a view to the harbor on which we splurged, the pictures I am going to take, the new pretty dress I am going to wear. Even the marathon, he, he.

When I started running – only a year and a half ago? – I pictured myself running a marathon with nonchalance one day. I am not sure about that anymore. I do not believe the body was designed to run 26 miles. A half, certainly, 20 miles, maybe. 26 is stretching it, at least for me. At least as of now.

But if I ever come close to that envisioned easiness it’s going to be in a race like this - a crisp day in autumn, a flat course, and – oh, I am so looking forward to this part - sea level altitude. Oxygen.

I am also thinking of a personal record. I am not sure how hard I am supposed to think of it. I probably cannot establish one if I do not aim for it. But if I aim for it, I will push myself, and then I forfeit the potential for nonchalance. On the other hand, if I do not push myself here, where am I ever going to surpass that magic momentum that carried me forward in Shiprock?

I do not have firm goals yet, not beyond the simple one of somehow making sense of this blend of desires.

13 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Lia, I'm not in much of a position to pass along advice, but none the less, go and have fun..above all have fun...finish the race without injury....do you have a watch that can help you watch your overall pace? I'm sure you know your pace from the Shiprock race...keep that in your mind...tucked away....until you are towards the end and then decide if a PR is in the making....don't over-stress about it...remember above all else..finish and have fun...that should make it a memorable run on any account.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Deene said...

how exciting - combo vacation and a run! best wishes and I hope you set a new PR.

 
At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listen to your intuitition. She knows what you should best do, so you enjoy it during and after... Afterall, with so many races planned, you'll set a good PR this autumn anyway.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't look forward to any race distance with nonchalance. I always get nervous, even if it's just a 5K!

I think it's so great that you are going for a marathon on your vacation! I bet you never thought you'd do that. :)

Despite your hesitation and doubt, remember that you are a runner. A good one at that! Your hard work is paying off! (I hope you get that PR!)

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Bump in the Night said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Bump in the Night said...

You'll love the air at sea level. That area is an outdoor paradise, and we enjoyed it by hiking around. We'd plow up a hill that'd have us panting at bit at nine or ten thousand feet, but we'd end up breathing as easily as if we just ambled across the living room. I'm no distance runner, but I ran a few miles and was delighted at the ease. Ran a little extra distance to celebrate.

Forgot to wish you a fun trip.

HAVE A FUN TRIP!

There!

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Victoria - so much fun, so pretty. I hope it is a crisp fall day and not a wet fall day. We've been innundated with rain storm upon rain storm. Just in case - be prepared for wet conditions.

Have a wonderful, fun, ferry ride and visit to Victoria. Don't forget to face south and wave at us!

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you're going to enjoy the extra oxygen at sea level.

I hope it turns into whatever you want it to be. :)

 
At 6:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start slower than you think you should. That's all I've got.
Enjoy! I cannot wait to hear about it!

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

I firmly believe, that since the beginning of time, we were born to RUN, so enjoy the race, it will be a great event, I'm sure.

I'll be runing virtually out there with you at the Chicago Marathon..

Just don't forget to say 'hey' after each sentence or is it 'oy' with those Canadians.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Good luck in Victoria. From the description, it sounds like you might be staying at the Empress Hotel. That hotel is famous for its Afternoon Tea event. I've never been to that event but people usually rave about it.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow... you've only been doing this for a year and a half? Impressive that you're able to run so far so fast.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger zanne said...

sea level. salt air ... both, magical elixirs. breathe them in, soak them up. run run run!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home