from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, November 20, 2006

too much too soon?

I took my "big run" again to the La Cueva high-school track. Ten miles this time. I expected it to be easier than last week, but it wasn't. It was harder. And it took me 2 hours and 7 minutes, the precise time span in which I ran the half-marathon in September. I have no idea how I managed once to squeeze in three extra miles in the same amount of time.

Perhaps I am doing too much too soon. I only say this because my legs felt alien after the run, as if they belonged to someone else. And today I was hobbling around as if I were 80.

Otherwise it seems I am barely making progress. My weekly mileage was only 24. I ran ten miles for the first time in May. Now, six months later, I am back to mile ten, and I only dared to run on flat terrain.

The good news: if I didn't know I had an injury, I could never surmise I did. The ten miles were excruciating, but my hip/groin did not make itself felt in any special way. Everything hurt just the same, he, he.

3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Just keep at it - it will become effortless again. I hope that somewhere in the 10 miles of lapping the track you reversed course a few times! If not, give it a try next time. If it helps any, my hips start aching around mile 13, and my knees around 18. They ache for the rest of the run, the rest of the day, and then are perfectly fine the next day. My husband says he doesn't get that anymore, so maybe it's a function of repetition and fitness. I sure hope so!

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Lora said...

My hips bothered me for the first time this past marathon. That was strange as I've been working out more and strengthed them well. Who knows sometimes what's really going on! Tho, you could beat yourself up with a very deep tissue massage and see how that goes...inviting huh???

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Equally dispersed pain is good. Congratulations on getting back up to 10.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home