from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, November 06, 2006

too much time on the treadmill

Sometimes I still have this funny feeling, as if a vise has clamped down on my hip, then let go, and now I am dealing with the phantom of the pain. So I have been running only every other day. My mileage this last week was 16. Pathetic, I know. Still, the week before it was 7, and the week before that it was 1, one mile. I am not sure whether I am advancing too slow or too fast.

I ran a 10K yesterday, on the threadmill, because Kurt in Boston
(thank you) said with a groin pull I should avoid hills for a while, and I know of no place around that is flat. Six miles on the treadmill means quintessential boredom, but I was thrilled enough I could do it. I spent most of the time repeating to myself the things I want to believe, but don't quite, that I am strong, that I am spirit, that I am beautiful, that I am worthy, that I will be published some day, that I will make more friends before I die, that ten years from now I will still surprise myself.

Okay, and this week I have to start working on incline, otherwise I will never get outside.

4 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A 10k on the treadmill sounds mind numbing, but sometimes I do my best thinking when I am running around in circles, or on a treadmill.

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger R2B said...

Hey Lia,
You have to believe those things!

I don't know you personally but i know you aren't lying.
Believe, work smart, be patient through the "lagtime" and you will achieve!

Chin up now.Breath deep and feel strong again.

R2B

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Just remember, one step at a time, and in the words of Olga: "Keep moving forward". I don't think there is one among us who hasn't experienced setbacks in our running and yet been able to find that long, slow path back. You're doing great!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger traveler022 said...

Be careful with the groin injury, but you will recover! I've run 2 marathons after I pulled my groin area. I pulled it 10 days before what was suppose to be my first marathon. It was pretty devastating after 18 weeks of training and not being there at the start line. People kept telling me there will be other races, but at that point, I didn't want to hear that. They were right, there are more races. It was a long recovery process. I went to physical therapy for 5 months. It's been 2 years and I'm not completely recovered, but I am able to run and train. I have gzillion physical therapy exercises on strengthening that area, if you want the info. Bottom line, you will run a marathon and you will recover. And that's amazing you ran a 10K on a treadmill, now that's endurance!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home