from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Saturday, October 28, 2006

learning how to count again

Today is Saturday, and in memory of the heroic times when I used to have a "big run" during the week-end, I ran a 5K. Yes, I am up to three miles, back to where I was in March. Learning how to count again. Okay, so the state of my long distance running career is not exactly dazzling.

I am not sure if I am holding back because I mind the injury, or because pushing harder would reveal what I have wasted in the weeks of forced rest, a loss I am not yet ready to accept.

But these three miles were encouraging. It was an effortless output. I could have run faster. I could have run longer. In bone and muscle, in blood and nerve, the memory of running is alive. My body has not forgotten how to run.

4 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Taunya said...

Congrats on your 3 effortless miles! I do agree with you, your body didn't forget how to run.

Keep up the good progress!

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Lora said...

An injury plays with your mind--so just keep running! You will move faster when you're ready.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger R2B said...

Running is like riding a bike you won't forget!

I've been injured too and while frustrating you can take it easy and make a successful comeback.

Happy Halloween!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger traveler022 said...

Thanks for your post on my blog. Every mile counts and you'll build up the miles soon again. Better being cautious than causing long term damage. Maybe I'll see you at the Albuquerque Turkey Trek 5K race. Will be there for Thanksgiving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home