from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Thursday, November 02, 2006

don't let them

In June I visited my homeland in Europe for a week. I ran five days out of the seven I spent there. The other two days I skipped running because I slept over at my sister's place, and logistics were hard to manage. I took my first run three hours after the plane landed, not having slept for 24 hours. I ran on streets, although uneven pavement and potholes could qualify my run as rough terrain work. I had only an approximate idea about mileage, so I kept track of time – at least 45 minutes each time. I caught a cold, and still I ran. I ran for my life.

My parents took the news about my running without much fuss. They had not seen me in years and consequently indulged me. But my father told me, after a few days, that one runs a marathon when one is 21 or 24, not when one is… 41 or 42.

That kind of statement must have shattered my self-confidence when I was a child. It must have devastated me, that this was all the belief in me he had to offer.

I did not reply. I am an adult now. There’s no need to get devastated. My father doesn’t influence my determination to wake up in the morning and run. He doesn’t have a say in the output of my muscles. He doesn’t control the power of my will. I can run the marathon, no matter what my father thinks. I can run the marathon, no matter what anyone thinks. I can run a marathon.

Don’t let them – anyone – separate you from your dream.

5 Comments:

At 6:37 PM, Blogger Lora said...

When I was practicing for my first half marathon, I did my very first 10 mile run while visiting my folks. My Dad came to pick me up as I neared the end of the run because it started pouring. He told me I looked like I wasn't even running--more like a walk! I had to laugh to myself--he never could give compliments--always put us down like that. It's ok to see them for who they are and still love them! But follow that marathon dream!!! It's an amazing thing!!

ps I did my first marathon at 47

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

damn straight you can do a marathon.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well said and I can't wait to read the report someday.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger G.P. said...

Ah yes, comments from the parental units, I know that one real well. Just remember... it's their stuff and it doesnt have to be yours.

Happy 26 goal.
GP in Montana

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Taunya said...

You will run a marathon some day!!!

Keep at it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home