from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Sunday, December 10, 2006

dreaming

Ryan has this awesome list on his blog as to identifying if you are a runner or not. One line I totally buy into: you know you are a runner when you dream about running. I have actually made a note in my calendar, sometime in August: "I have been running for six months now, but I have never dreamt of running."

I did, three days ago. I dreamt I was running downhill. It wasn't real running, since I was on a street, dressed in street clothes, the flat-heeled boots and long-sleeved black dress I had worn the day prior. And I fell.

I fell almost willingly, head on, full face down. But I fell in prolonged, willful slow-motion, so that I could compute an impact without injury. A car was coming. In one piece and in control, I rolled out of its way.

I did not mind the fall. Dreaming, my body knew that during waking I am running.

4 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Kurt in Boston said...

I've had the dream like the one where you're back in school, and there's a test, and you haven't prepared for it... But it's a marathon, and I'm not at the starting line, and I haven't even prepared for it!

[And the answer to your question is in the comments back on my blog...]

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Lia- thanks for stopping by my blog!

Quite the dream there...hmm, I can't recall ever dreaming about running myself...I'll have to check that list out!

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lia,
Glad to hear you enjoyed reading the list! From running to dreaming about running you’re hooked = ) I’ve had some crazy running dreams too; they seem to occur before a big race, probably from anxiety and usually evolve me getting lost in the woods or missing the race!

Dream BIG and run on!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Much better to fall in your dreams rather than out on the road.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home