from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, December 04, 2006

all that counts

"Big run" on Sunday: three rounds of the Academy track, uphill and downhill, just shy of 10 miles, under two hours. Mileage for the week: over 24. My progress from week to week is barely perceptible, but in all respects - pace, mileage, terrain - I got back into the range that was customary before the injury. Not quite there, but into the range.

Maybe I had a bad day, or maybe it was the temperature (19 degress when I left home before 8 am, the cold cursing through my veins like alcohol), but I was exhausted before the first round was over. I took walking breaks, my nose was running, my ears were freezing, I was not dressed right again. I never got to buy running gloves - why do we need running gloves when we run with our feet? - so I grabbed a pair of bulky mittens that belonged to my boyfriend. I ended up running like a frustrated boxer, my hands damp and hot, no part of me comfortable. I will definitely buy running gloves. By the third round the sun was stronger, and I was both sweaty and cold.

None of this mattered anymore when I finished, since all that counted was to finish.

5 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

" I ended up running like a frustrated boxer" - LOLOLOL 2funny!!

Great POST and WTG on your RUN!!

Just stopped via Michelle's blog -- I like your blog and posts and will be back from time to time...

I am a newbie runner/blogger living in SUNNY FL...I am SOO NOT a cold person I moved from NJ to FL 4 yrs ago and tell my friends I replaced my ice scaper with sun block :-)

Take care,

Bob

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

I use to run always at the same time because very often I wear the wrong clothes....and yes the gloves are important. I have 3 pairs: 2 in cottons (by the Navy uniform) and one nike that I won after a race.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Lora said...

My gloves go on and off, on and during during my runs. Hard to keep my inside thermostat stable.
Great job on the run!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger traveler022 said...

Three laps around the Academy, great job Lia! Dressing correctly for the weather is definitely an art. I still haven't figured it out.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's great to read that you are getting back into your previous running range. It does seem silly that we need running gloves, but my snow gloves just do not work the same so I am glad to have the running gloves that are mostly comfortable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home