from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

recovering miles lost

I am trying to increase my daily mileage from a 5K to 4 miles, with a required minimum of 3.5 for the time being, and I haven't wavered from completion. It's not so much an issue of exertion, as one of time. As in: how much longer can I run without being late at the office? My "big run" last Sunday was 11 miles, pitiful in itself, but the longest distance I ran since the injury. I have decided to sign up for the Rock 'n' Roll half-marathon in Phoenix, Arizona, on January 14th.

My boyfriend thinks it's crazy to drive across state lines for me to, literally, get to run around for a couple of hours, and he has a point there. But he acquiesced graciously. We are going to make a big celebration out of the fact that by the end of the year I will be back to mile 13.

I am excited.

3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

I don't know why you think 11 miles is pitiful! It's great that you've recovered to that point. Most runners have experienced an injury that forced a setback and rebuild. I was there three years ago, and could run less than 5 minutes without taking a walk break thanks to a bout of illness. Give yourself a load of credit, because you are making great strides!

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

11 miles sounds great to me. Wish you the best in the half.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

11 miles pitiful by whose standards??? Getting back on track after an injury is no picnic…nice job! I find reregistering for races are great motivators…after that 11 miles the half marathon will be alot of fun….enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home