from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bill Strickland update

There isn't much to say. This project progressed even less than my running.

I wrote to the mayor. I contacted a senator, and the congressional representative of New Mexico, and a few other people. What I need is contacts in the business community, and I did not get one single lead.

Did I actually expect help from politicians? Hmmm, okay, so I cultivate hope as much as I can. Guess I will have to do some research and make forays in the business community myself.

The field representative for education at senator Bingaman's office made an interesting point. He said my chances for success are slim - which of course I knew. But he added that even if no one will be interested in building this school, even if there will never be a Bill Strickland school in Albuquerque, what I am doing is raising awareness. Putting the idea out there. Spreading the word.

Although he did not offer me anything in his official capacity, he was, as a person, very taken by the project. I could see it in his eyes. When I left he was sad he could not help me - even sadder than me.

Okay, so I am going to embrace my role of spreading the word. And target someone else.

4 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Jason The Running Man said...

thanks for stopping by. Good luck with your journey.

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes I feel like that when I am teaching. I am not sure that everything is sinking in and if I am doing the best job that I can, but I hope that they are getting an awareness, at the least, and maybe they will remember the next time it is mentioned. Good luck on spreading the word and getting some support.

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger R2B said...

Where there is a will and a dream there is a way,as long as you don't give up and get past the lagtime!

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

To be honest, I don't know what a Bill Strickland school is. But I admire your passion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home