from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, February 05, 2007

staying in place

It feels as if this backache will never go away. It's been two weeks now, and it is part of me like a second backbone, superimposed on the orginal.

I have been running with... daintiness. Yesterday I set out for a small "big run." I meant to do it on the treadmill, since I thought that would be less rough on my system than the outdoor course. But the morning was too resplendant with light to stay confined on a gray rubber band.

I wish one day I will get to the point where running feels... liberating, not like a chore.

I took so many walking breaks that I was embarassed for my running gear - what an indignity to have to perambulate draped over someone as tentative as me... Running, jogging, walking, crawling, I took my weekly mileage to over 12 miles. It's more than last week. It's about as much as I should run in a day.

But at least I fought to stay in place instead of sliding backward again, from the vecinity of mile 13 down to nowhere.

It's not only the running. January brought other assorted setbacks, and I resigned myself to taking it easy and being patient until 2007 understands that it is supposed to be a fabulous year.

6 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I could have written most of this. The mileage (or lack of), the crawling, the wanting running to feel good. Especially the part of making 2007 understand it's supposed to be fabulous- that really got me!

I guess all we can do is what we can do. Keep at it, and I will, too.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger justacoolcat said...

Do you have a Yoga Ball?

Since I've been stretching on one I haven't had a back ache.

(knock on wood)

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Chad said...

I think you said it in your post, be patient, you want to heal before you really start pushing.

2007 will be great!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

I’m sure it’s just a rough patch; we all have our bad weeks. It might be helpful to take a break from running; absence makes the heart grow fonder. Also you could try some cross training? I had a lot of upper body aches and pains when I trained for my first marathon, then I started working on my core and haven’t had any issues since. Good luck things will bounce back!

 
At 3:18 AM, Blogger Lora said...

I hope this passes quickly for you. As one who had a slipped disc at 16 years of age and always had to watch her back, I certainly feel for you.

Don't judge your running too harshly..hang in there until the warm weather comes...then all will be wonderful again!!

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

be patient, it's hard but it works.

I love the "daintiness" description

 

Post a Comment

<< Home