from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, February 29, 2008

a few more details

Very pleased to have purchased some Margarita Cliff Bloks. I discovered them at the expo before the Tucson marathon. Never though I would touch those gelatinous things, but they worked out better than anything else tried before. Okay, so they need a solid shot of tequila to taste anything like margarita, but they are salty, and that's not only practical, but also a welcome alternative to all the nauseating sweet stuff.

We are staying at this cool landmark hotel - El Camino Real - where the ceiling over the lobby bar is a Tiffany glass dome. The expo, the start, and the finish are all across the street.

They have burritos at the finish line. Of course, by the time I get there, none might be left.

For the first time I am worried about the six hour cut-off. In only trained for five weeks. I will give myself permission to walk. This means I will run later during the day, when the sun and heat will slow me down even further. El Paso is the sunniest city in the US. The projected high for race day is 78F. I am not looking forward to that.

Once I run El Paso, I will probably run another marathon. One more within the next two months would bring my marathon maniac level up to silver. Nothing stellar, but it just sounds better than being at the bronze bottom of the ladder.

9 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

Silver's a nice color for a Maniac! Have fun in El Paso!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

The hotel sounds beautiful. I love staying in places like that. Go easy in that heat, and have fun!

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have those margarita blocs too and agree that the saltiness is a nice alternative.

have a good run in el paso!

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog for inspiration during my marathon training and now ready or not, I'll be running L.A. tomorrow. Your honesty and determination shows through in your words. You'll get to the finish tomorrow in fine fettle. I hope we both will. Thank you for your blog, you've really helped me on this crazy journey.

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waiting for feedback :))

 
At 4:01 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

I actually like the PIna Colada Bloks myself, you should give those a try..

Going for the MM silver, it's always fun trying to get some more stars.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Joe said...

No tequila in those things? Pity.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

So how did those Margarita Cliff Bloks work?

 
At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Shot Bloks, too, but the thought of salty. . . I just couldn't even try it.

I hope El Paso goes great for you! I'm sure you'll have no problem with the cut-off time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home