from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Thursday, April 10, 2008

exhausted

I went to a four-day seminar in Santa Fe over the last week-end, very intense, from morning to evening. No way I could do a long run, but I managed to squeeze in over an hour of running Saturday morning, and it was mesmerizing to do it at dawn in the Sangre de Cristo mountains. Then I got a fever.

First I thought it was the run - only five miles, but at 7,800 feet it might have tipped the scale toward exhaustion. Then I thought it was stress over the seminar, not a comfortable affair. A Reiki practitioner who saw me that evening concluded I was working too hard.

The fever broke during the night but I am still not well - first it was a headache, then a tummy ache, then a sore throat, today I lost my voice. The bad part is being sick turns me off from running. I cannot envision doing a 16-miler this week-end without getting myself ever sicker.

I said Shiprock, in three weeks from now, will be my last marathon. For a while I wasn't sure, since I spotted one in Taos in June and started plotting how to get there. Now, again, I do not know if I am even able to do Shiprock. The heroic focus I exerted for El Paso while sick for weeks, it might have worked once, but it seems insane to repeat it.

5 Comments:

At 5:19 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Hopefully, you'll feel better soon and all will get back on track. I had a cold last week before the Yakima Marathon - headache, exhausted, sore throat, horrible cough, the works. It cleared up by Thursday and I was marathoning on Saturday. I hope yours goes the same way!

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you get well soon. Don't push too hard while you are sick...your health is important!!

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Just relax a little bit and rest up.. Hopefully you'll be able to do your marathon. But there are always others..

Get better soon.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just relax...everything is as should be. Accept good surprizes and unpredictibiity. I know it is easier said than done:)
Hope you've recovered by now.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take care of yourself. Don't push your body until it's ready. I hope you recover quickly - we're routing for you and that completion of the circle of marathons. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home