from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

looking at the bright side

With only two weeks left until Shiprock, I had to put in a decent run this last week-end, sick or not. The last run over five miles was three weeks back, a past so distant I doubted the legs could remember it.

It’s not fun to run when you cannot breath and the coughing shakes you so hard that your chest hurts. But I went out determined not to care, since the alternative – no big run, no Shiprock - was unpalatable. I managed sixteen miles before the body gave in. Less then I hoped, but more than I could reasonably expect. My big run for this marathon is going to be the marathon itself.

This is not the way I wanted to return to Shiprock, my first marathon, my best, my magical race a year ago. But then I don’t think I ever went to a race feeling prepared. I will walk it, if need be. It’s still so much better than not finishing. And that is still so much better than not starting.

7 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

The best part of this years start will be knowing that you can make the finish line! Hope that you can shake all the ill effects before race day.

Have a great run!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Four days before Yakima I was coughing so hard my chest hurt. Miracle of miracles, by race day, the cough was gone! I hope for the same for you.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger RunBubbaRun said...

Hope you are 100% by time marathon comes along...

Like the attitude thou, and there is something to be undertrained for a race...

Just keep going forward and you'll make the finishline...

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well said, Lia! Nice job getting the 16 miles done despite how you felt.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Darrell said...

How well I understand your turmoil. I wish you well for the start and finish at Shiprock.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better. Nice job on the long run despite being sick. Can't wait to hear about it!

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree! We just have to do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home