from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Sunday, December 31, 2006

lia ran



Does snow shoveling count as cross-training? The shovel we brought over from the East Coast got to live up to its purpose for the first time since we moved to the desert. Neighbors took gleeful turns at borrowing it. I spent hours yesterday digging up my car from under the snow.

It’s winter in New Mexico again. Albuquerque got a foot and a half, the heaviest snowfall in recorded history.

Was it madness or just the customary commitment to running that made me drive out to the Academy track today? Let’s just call it cluelessness. The snow was knee-high. I could not walk, never mind running. What was I thinking? Back in my car I got a new insight. I had cleaned the parking area at home. I did not clean out the parking lot at Academy. I got stuck there.

Three guys got me out. One pushed the car, one pulled with a rope attached to a snowmobile, one drove it. He was so big not even when he pushed the chair back as far as it would go did he fit in my driver seat. They were grinning their mouth corners up to their ears when they were done. I gave everyone of them a big hug. I am a lucky girl.

Plan B: the treadmill. I ran my 14 miles. It was boring, but it was not wet, and I did not need to worry about the car. When I was finished I could not envision ever running more than that.

So here is the overall perspective.

Today: 14 miles.
This week: over 29 miles.
This month: over 112 miles.
Year-to-date (call it life-to-date, although it started at the end of February):
- 819 + miles
- three races (two 5Ks and one half-marathon)
- one injury incurred while stretching
- two months on the sidelines
- hundreds of dollars spent on running gear
- a half pound lost - I actually lost more, but they came back, and brought friends, and then they all went away, and some came back again – they must like me, he, he...

And… 819 miles. Did I say that already? Okay, so it’s not that much. It’s 800 + more than I thought I would accrue in a lifetime. I grew up with kilometers. That is more than 1,300 kms, enough to run across my homeland in Europe and back.

Life is good. Have a wonderful New Year!

11 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! 14 miles on the treadmill. Now that is dedication.

Have a Happy New Year!

The snow looks beautiful.

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

snow in NM wow I have a good friend Alburgue I will have to give them a call...

the track thing was funny :-) I can't believe they didn't shovel it for your workout ~!@#$%^

Great job on 14 miles on the treadmill!!

Happy New Year

Bob

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Albuquerque *** opps forgot to change that --lol

wonder if there is a Alburgue --(sounds like a virus) I got a bad case of the alburgue ---haha OK let me stop humoring myself

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Lia,
You've turned into a true runner. How do I know? 14 miles on the treadmill, an attempt to get to the track despite the snow. Couldn't miss your run, could you? True runner.

As for the 14 - I can't imagine running that far on a treadmill. Hopefully, you'll find it better when you are outside, and you will be able to imagine it then.

Good stats for 2006! Happy New Year!

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Dori said...

Man, I can barely make an hour on the treadmill. Good job! I used to hate shoveling snow, then I realized I was burning calories. :-)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

That's a winter wonder land photo!

I had to add one more line to your training for the year...
819 + miles
- three races (two 5Ks and one half-marathon)
- one injury incurred while stretching
- two months on the sidelines
- hundreds of dollars spent on running gear
- One day in 2007 crossing a marathon finish line... PRICELESS!

Happy New Year!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's not madness, it's tenacity.

Happy New Year.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger traveler022 said...

My parents called about the snow and I thought about your 14 in snowy cold weather. Glad you stayed warm and dry and I'm in awe that you did 14 on the treadmill! Amazing!!

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Ryan said...

What’s happening to the world, we New Englanders haven’t even used a shovel yet this winter! Crazy stuff!
WTG putting 14 miles in on a treadmill is, do you have virtual treadmill or something?


Cheers & Happy running in 2007

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Chad said...

14 miles on a treadmill is quite an accomplishment. Keep going!

 
At 4:05 AM, Blogger Lora said...

Happy New Year Lia.

Awesome work on the treadmill. You've definetely got the "bug"---life will never be the same!!! Lucky you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home