from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Friday, December 29, 2006

symbolic progress

Now that I am back at mile 13, I have been wondering what and how and when to run during the next two-three weeks. Where do I go from here? I mean, I go to mile 14, but how?

It's the half-marathon in Arizona that confuses me. I could take take the race seriously and taper, postponing mile 14 for later. Or I could consider the race a training run, a stepping stone, a base builder. That's what I was thinking a few days back, it's just another "big run."

But then...oh, I know, almost for sure, I am not going to be able to control the animal in me, that blindly striving creature that is going to take over and push me forward, as if this were the last race on earth and we had to give it all.

So I decided... hmmm... to do both. I plan to run 14 miles on Sunday. It's snowing again, as I write, and the track will be tricky to navigate. But I want 14 miles, I want progress, even if it's only symbolic. Otherwise there'd be nothing to show for the last five months when I was stuck below mile 13.

And then I have almost two weeks to put myself in race shape, so when the animal takes over it doesn't destroy me, hah.

9 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Backofpack said...

That sounds like a great plan to me. It's still too early to taper if the half is three weeks out. I really only taper the week before - for a marathon I have been running 10 miles the Saturday before, 5 on the Sunday before, then 12 to 15 during the week, spread over three days. Marathon week will give me a weekly total of 35 miles this time. So I think you can run 14 for the long this weekend, drop down to 8 or 9 next weekend for your long, then go easy during the week before the race. You'll be great!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Rick Gaston said...

I agree. 2 weeks is long enough for a taper. You should be able to get one last long run in. Good luck.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger traveler022 said...

Progress indeed Lia! 13miles in cold, windy, and snowy conditions, you are ready for your race! Everyone has different training schedules. I'll email you our club's half-marathon training schedule. They actually do two 14 miles before the half, which sounds crazy, but it has worked for people. When I trained for my half with Team in Training a few years back, our longest run was 10. On race day, I was freaking out. I wasn't sure if I could run 13 since I've never done it before, but I finished just fine:). If you feel good, do 14. Be careful with snow and ice. Some running stores have special things you stick on the bottom of your shoes. I've never worn them, but I've seen them in Runner's World. Happy New Year!

 
At 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. Enjoy your 14 mile run. That's great progress! You'll be more than ready for your upcoming half. Good luck! :)

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's stevie :),
Wow is that Really you, Brown hair...looks great and now your a crazy running woman running in the streets amist weather type natural disasters(Snow)...well you always were very disiplined, remember your no eating day :)Your doing a lot of miles...I'm sure you know that short work (sprints & the like) im prove your distance running especially your kick. Good luck in all of your endurance ventures and send me some snapshots so I can see how Great you look. Hello to all and Happy New Year

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Great Job Lia and good luck on ur 14 miler.

Happy New Year !!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with the 14 miler tomorrow. I think you will have plenty of time to recover for the half in a few weeks.

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Black Knight said...

In my opinion it is impossible to consider the race a training run; when "we wear a number" we are another person!
I am with Rick, 2 weeks is long enough for a taper: this was my experience for many times.
Happy New Year

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Chad said...

Good luck with your 14 mile run. It's too early to worry about taper, but I'd be careful about running for longer than 2 hrs on a repetitive basis. You will definitely want to take care of your self in between long runs. Thanks for stopping by.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home