from mile to marathon

The journey of a thousand leagues begins from beneath your feet.
Lao-Tzu

Monday, December 25, 2006

presents

Yesterday I gave myself a Christams present. I ran 13 miles.

It was not an easy run - the morning was cold and windy, the track still partially covered with icy snow on the shady sides, and slushy mud on the sunny ones. But all in all it was not much different from the average four miles I put out on weekdays. Minute inevitably comes upon minute, and if you keep moving the miles accrue.

For the first time since the injury I ran 13 miles again, the most I ever ran. Thinking back I believe now I did not injure myself during the half-marathon race, but right before it, while warming up. The morning was too cold, I had to much time on my hands, I stretched too vigurously. I think I pulled that tendon that day, but not while running. Funny, sort of. That was almost four months ago.

I have climbed back halfway up the mountain. I am back at mile 13.

I know it is silly to be in a self-congratulatory mood about a victory factually old (I ran 13 miles first time in August), but I am. I am proud of myself, awash in jubilation.

I have recovered all miles lost.

Oh, and I got another present. Eric called me "Marathon Girl". It's not true, of course, not yet, but it made me feel ... valid. Little things count soooooo much.

7 Comments:

At 10:35 PM, Blogger Backofpack said...

Alright! You deserve to feel jubilation and to congratulate yourself for reaching 13 miles again. It's hard to come back after an injury, to regain all the lost ground. It's easy to let it all go. You did the hard work and it has paid off!

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Journey to a Centum said...

Just keep building a strong running base and before you know it you will be that marathon girl that you dream of becoming! Personally I don't stretch before running. I typically just walk for about 1/4 mile to limber up and then I'm off and running. I still stretch after my runs but I think its just habit. Lot's of studies going on regarding stretching indicate that it's probably better to stretch at a time that is not related to your actual run. As an example if you are a morning runner you should stretch in the afternoon. Apparently you will gain more benefit (Gumby like flexibility) from this routine than from the old routine.

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 13 miles! It is truly a "milestone." I can't wait until I'm back to that again. Keep running strong!

I hope you had a great Christmas!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Tom Bailey said...

Great blog. I found your blog through a running search. You will accomplish your goals.

http://sms100.blogspot.com/

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Rick Gaston said...

Hey thanks for stopping by. It's great to recover something that was lost or wasn't an option because of circumstances. Congratulations, you should feel good and celebrate. At the end of every year I take time off and as I work myself back into shape I celebrate all the miles as they come back; 6...10...13...and so on.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger R2B said...

Thats tops to be able to get the 13miles in again and yes it is an achievement to re savour!

Quarry road is 6.5 km each way so 26km all up.

Have a happy new year Lia!

Cheers R2B

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's great indeed that you are back to where you left off. I am sure you will get to that marathon girl status soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home